The Seller's List of 25 Easy Fix-Ups
The condition of your home will have a huge impact on how fast it sells, and its
eventual selling price. Preparing your home for sale can pay you huge dividends.
Many fix ups cost very little and consist mostly of time and some elbow grease.
Here are some simple tips to help your home show its best.
- Clean the entire home thoroughly. Shampoo carpets, wash walls, clean sills,
window screens and blinds. Clean out light fixtures and dust shelving. Get
- Clean the clutter from all closets, cupboards and cabinets.
- Make your rooms look as spacious as possible. Store unnecessary furnishing
items that make your home look crowded.
- Arrange furnishing so that it is easy to walk through your home.
- Scale down the number of photos, pictures, portraits and posters hanging
on walls. Make sure you patch all nail and screw holes.
- Keep your curtains and draperies open as a rule. You will want your home to
show very light and bright. Find ways to screen any unappealing views.
- Make your kitchen shine. Remove clutter from counter tops and cabinets and
store it. Keep your sink clean and clear of any dirty dishes.
- Clean your refrigerator, inside and out. Make sure that you do the simple
things like putting an open box of baking soda in your fridge. Also, remove
unnecessary clutter from the door.
- Clean your oven. Degrease it and keep it looking as good as possible.
- Keep scented candles burning in the kitchen and bathrooms. Pleasant
fragrances will entice buyers to stay longer in your home.
- Keep bathrooms scrubbed and tidy with fresh soap and neatly hung towels.
Try to color coordinate your bathrooms.
- Keep all sinks in the home clean and repair leaks or slow drains.
- Go through your entire home and touch up paint. Pay close attention to
corners where there is traffic wear. Touch up baseboards, trim and cabinets
- Place plants or flower arrangements in strategic parts of the home. A
splash of color from plants, flowers, pillows or small rugs can give your
home some real flair.
- Make sure that your home is well lit. Put higher wattage bulbs in dark
areas or corners. Keep all lights on during showings, even in mid day.
- Use mirrors on walls if necessary to reflect light and make rooms look
- Make sure that all door knobs and keyed entries are working. Replace any
worn knobs or handles.
- Clean up all around the house. Remove any debris piles such as wood,
firewood and landscape trimmings. Trim all hedges, bushes and shrubbery away
from the house. Keep all garden beds weeded and mulched.
- Put some color by your home's entrance with potted flowers. Keep them
watered and looking attractive.
- Keep all walkways clear, clean and in good repair. This includes your
driveways and any parking areas.
- Keep all outdoor furniture clean and in good repair.
- Clean your gutters and roof. Keep moss or algae from growing on, in or
- Keep your yard and lawn areas clean and in good health. A green lawn
makes a home look great. Keep your lawn edged and free from weeds.
- Repair any broken windows, screens, shutter or awnings.
- Clean your garage area. Remove clutter and make it look organized and
as spacious as possible. Try to have nothing in your garage but cars.
By following these 25 fix up tips, you can do a lot to increase the perceived
value of your home and make it stand out above the competition!
Back to Seller Resources